Prayag Week 1 - Vehicles of Freedom
In anticipation of my driving test in September, I have been driving my mom's car around to various locations nearby. Destinations include: my brother's school, the local Lucky's, and my family friend's house. While the driving test IS one of the main motives behind my practice, the truth is, the ability to go wherever I want, whenever I want, makes me feel so powerful. Almost too powerful. In fact, despite driving around a 2010 Toyota Rav-4, a sense of superiority fuels my ego enough to think, "Ha, look at those plebians meandering around while I pilot my shiny chariot.”
But accompanying this advancement of freedom is what seems like another step in the growing separation from my parents. Now, it's not like once I get my license, I am going to commandeer the car and break speed limits as I weave through traffic on a highway at night—it hardly has enough maneuverability to do a U-turn—but it seems that a crucial part of my time with them will be cut off. Imagine that, on your weekly errands, instead of talking with your parents on the car ride there, at the place of interest, and finally on the car ride back, you are just by yourself the entire way. No accompaniment besides a car’s stereo.
Obviously, as high schoolers, it is natural for us to become more distant with our parents than before because of extracurriculars, homework, friend hangouts, and what not. It’s natural to want more personal space.
But how quickly do you want your freedom?
Personally, I wouldn’t be ready to move out of my parent’s house tomorrow. But the way time flies so quickly is scary. The progression from the start of high school to becoming an upperclassmen seemed too fast for two years. How much longer is it until I am living in a college dorm and have to buy my own groceries, cook my own food, and take care of the gazillion other responsibilities that come with this freedom? If I think about it, there are also only two years left before that happens, and I am not sure I am ready for that.

Comments
Post a Comment